The Dodgers’ Bauer Company has suspended two seasons due to the alleged sexual assault 2022-04-29 20:07:06

[ad_1]

NEW YORK — Los Angeles Dodgers player Trevor Power was given an unprecedented two-season suspension without pay Friday by Major League Baseball for violating the league’s policy on domestic violence and sexual assault, a charge he has denied. And vowed to overturn the system before an arbitrator.

The 2020 National League Cy Young winner was placed on administrative leave last July 2 under policy. The leave was originally set for seven days, was extended 13 times and was due to end on Friday.

Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the discipline, which covers 324 games without pay and if left in place would cost the 31-year-old bowler just over $60 million from a $102 million three-year contract that began last year.

Bauer has vowed to appeal the suspension to Martin Scheinmann, an independent baseball umpire, who is facing a determination of whether Manfred has just cause for discipline under a domestic violence policy agreed in 2015.

A San Diego woman, who was interviewed by the shooter via social media, alleged that Power beat and sexually assaulted her last year. She later sought a restraining order but was refused. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February that there was not enough evidence to prove the woman’s accusations beyond a reasonable doubt.

Power, who has not played since the allegations surfaced and MLB began investigating, has repeatedly said that everything that happened between the two was consensual.

“In the strongest possible terms, I deny any violation of the league’s policy on domestic violence and sexual assault,” Friday said in a statement. I am resuming this procedure and expect it to prevail. As we have done throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”

Of the 15 players previously disciplined under the policy, the longest suspension was a full season and post-season for free thrower Sam Dyson in 2021. None of the players previously disciplined under the policy appear to have challenged the penalty in front of an arbitrator.

Power was on administrative leave with a full $28 million salary last season and the first 22 days of $32 million salary this season. He will lose $60,131,868: $28,131,868 this year and $32 million for 2023.

Earlier this week, Power filed a lawsuit against the accused in federal court, a move that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against the bowler. Power named the woman and one of her attorneys, Niranjan Fred Thiagaraja, as defendants in the lawsuit. The Associated Press does not usually identify people who say they have been victims of sexual assault.

The lawsuit said the “damage to Mr. Power was severe” after the woman alleged he strangled her until she passed out, repeatedly punched her and had anal sex with her without her consent during two sexual encounters last year.

The bowler said the two had violent sex at his Pasadena home at her suggestion and followed instructions they had previously agreed upon. He said that every meeting ended with them banter and spend the night.

The MLB announced the suspension in a short statement that did not provide details of the results of its investigation, adding: “In accordance with the terms of the policy, the commissioner’s office will not release any further statements at this time.”

On Friday, The Washington Post published a story in which a woman from Columbus, Ohio said Power crossed the line during sex in 2013 and 2014. The unidentified woman said the sex was consensual but that “things happened outside of my consent” during intercourse, the newspaper reported. Washington Post.

The woman said Bauer strangled her unconscious dozens of times during sex. Once, after she regained consciousness, she said that Bauer was having anal sex without her consent.

Power said in a statement sent through his representatives that he had a “fully transient and consensual sexual relationship from 2013-2018” with the woman, which began while he was promoting for Team Triple-A in Columbus.

“None of our encounters ever involved a single non-consensual act, let alone unlawful,” said Power. In fact, it was she who defined me as suffocation, both in our relationship and as a consensual act during sex. I detailed the incidents for The Washington Post—and specifically The ones that involved a non-consensual strangulation in which she claims she made up and woke up on the floor of a hotel—it never happened in any way.”

After winning his first Cy Young title with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Power agreed to join his hometown Dodgers. He did not play after June 29 and finished by scoring 8-2 and 2.59 ERA in 17 games. He earned his $28 million salary last year.

Los Angeles declined to comment until the arbitration process was completed.

“The Dodgers takes all allegations of this nature seriously and does not condone or condone any acts of domestic violence or sexual assault,” the team said in a statement. “We have fully cooperated with the MLB investigation since it began, and we fully support MLB’s policy and implementation.

———

More from AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP—Sports



[ad_2]