Oath Keeper emotional as he accepts second plea deal on January 6 in inflammatory conspiracy case 2022-04-29 14:34:09


Brian Ulrich admitted to being part of the group that hurried to the Capitol.

Federal prosecutors on Friday reached a second plea of ​​guilt and a cooperation agreement with a member of the Divisional Guard militia accused in the incendiary government conspiracy case stemming from January 6 assault In the US Capitol Building.

Brian Ulrich, of Gayton, Georgia, admitted Friday that he was part of the group of department guards seen during the riots climbing the eastern steps of the Capitol in a military-style “mack” formation.

The 44-year-old has pleaded guilty to two criminal charges of conspiracy, seditious conspiracy and obstruction of official proceedings, both of which carry 20 years in prison and fines of up to $250,000. As explained in his petition, Ulrich’s estimated crime level carries a sentence range of 63-78 months, although the government can recommend a lower sentence based on how cooperative he is.

As part of the plea deal, Ulrich agreed to provide “significant cooperation” to the government, including testifying before a grand jury and at trial, as well as sitting down for additional interviews with the government if requested.

When DC District Judge Amit Mehta read the terms of his petition, Ulrich became emotional, his voice cracking as Mehta described the time he might face in prison upon sentencing.

Mehta asked Ulrich at one point if he wanted to take a break to make himself safe.

“It won’t get any easier,” Ulrich replied.

He could be heard crying across the conference call line several times during the remainder of the hearing.

In a filing released Friday, Ulrich acknowledged using Signal to send private messages to other members of the Oath Keepers regarding their plans to prevent Joe Biden from becoming president for then-President Donald Trump.

“I seriously wonder what it would take just to have every patriot march around the capital armed?” Ulrich sent a message on December 5, 2020. “Just to show our government how weak it is!”

Ulrich also admitted that he traveled to Washington, D.C. on January 4 knowing that other members of the group had stored firearms in a Virginia hotel, where prosecutors say a number of department guards were stationed on January 6 as part of a heavily armed “rapid reaction force” in In case the group wanted to transport weapons to the city.

Prior to his trip, Ulrich said he purchased tactical and other equipment, including two-way radios, which he carried with him inside the Capitol.

At the start of the attack on the Capitol, Ulrich said he and other members of the Oath Keepers were at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington. When they saw news reports of a mob breaching police lines, the group gathered their gear and rushed to the Capitol on golf carts to join the attack.

In the days after January 6, Ulrich continued to communicate with other department keepers on Signal, saying in one message that he and the founder of the Oath Keepers Stuart Rhodes need to “stay under the radar,” according to the prosecution.

Ulrich’s appeal follows a similar agreement by the Public Prosecution Office Arrived last month With Joshua James, a member of the Oath Keepers’ Alabama division who has admitted providing security to a former Trump adviser Roger Stone The day before the riots.

There are nine remaining members facing charges of seditious conspiracy, including Rhodes – all of whom have pleaded not guilty and vowed to fight the charges at trial.

Do you agree with this statement? [in your plea agreement] That you agreed with Mr. Rhodes and others to oppose the legal transfer of presidential power by force? “

“Yes, your honor,” replied Ulrich.