Here are the top news, trends and analysis that investors need to start their trading day:
Nasdaq market location in New York.
Michael Nagel | Bloomberg | Getty Images
Nasdaq futures contracts It rebounded nearly 2% Thursday, boosted by 14% in shares of parent Facebook ID pads Better than expected profits. Bond yields rose as data showed US economic growth slowed in the first quarter. After the Thursday bell, megatech continues to lead US companies with quarterly results apple And Amazon To report.
- The tech-heavy index, which is already in a bear market, closed on Wednesday with low for this yearone day after the worst selling in a single session since September 2020.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average and the Standard & Poor’s 500 Both are set to open higher on Thursday after ending the previous session with modest gains. The S&P 500 was still correcting.
- The Dow was just below the correction threshold, down 10% or more from recent highs.
A couple of pre-market drives: Teladoc Dig 44% after reporting a profit loss; Southwest Airlines It rose more than 4% after providing an optimistic outlook. And stronghold It rose 1.5% after slightly beating expectations for earnings and revenue.
pointer 10-year treasury bond yield Thursday rose, trading around 2.88%after the government stated that the US economy Contractor 1.4% in the first quarter. Economists expected 1% growth. Initial jobless claims for the week ending April 23 were 180,000, matching estimates. The Federal Reserve The reports will pay special attention as they look for a good place to raise interest rates further to fight inflation without closing the door to economic growth.
A new video produced by Inspiration from Iceland is pushing back against experiencing life through the “metaverse,” as Mark Zuckerberg described it during his Facebook rebranding to Meta on Thursday, October 28, 2021.
Michael Nagel | Bloomberg | Getty Images
ID padsformerly known as Facebook, has been reported Mixed results for the first quarter After the closing bell Wednesday. However, while revenue missed, key engagement metrics came in better than expected as well as earnings. During the call, management made very encouraging comment about expenses, remittance and long-term profit potential. They also said they expect revenue to grow again over time. Despite rising to about $199 per share in the primary market, that level will keep Meta Platforms down more than 40% for the year.
In this photo illustration, the Twitter logo is displayed on a phone screen, with Elon Musk’s own Twitter account in the background. Twitter is flooded with user reports of high-profile accounts losing thousands of followers in the hours after news broke that Tesla CEO Elon Musk would buy the social network.
Sheldon Cooper / SOPA Images | Light Rocket | Getty Images
Twitter export first quarter earnings before the opening bell on Thursday, in what could be one of its last reports as a public company after the social media network’s board of directors approved the sale to Elon Musk for $44 billion. Twitter shares are up 1% to about $49 per share in the primary market, but that’s less than Musk’s cash offer of $54.20 per share. Twitter said its monetized daily active users beat estimates in the first quarter, but overall revenue was slightly below expectations.
Two out of the three components of the Dow Jones Index saw quarterly earnings Thursday morning, and their shares saw a rally in pre-market trading.
- McDonald’s Set to open 2% higher after delivery Better than expected profitsDriven by higher prices in the US and strong growth in international sales.
- Larva It was due to open 2% lower despite a hit to earnings and revenue, helped by increased construction activity and higher commodity prices leading to more mining.
- merck It is set to open about 2% after Swiping on the top and bottom linesHer cancer treatment was powerfully aided by Keytruda, the HPV vaccine Gardasil and the oral antiviral Covid-19, Molnupiravir.
Eli Lilly and Company’s drug manufacturing plant is pictured at 50 ImClone Drive in Branchburg, New Jersey, March 5, 2021.
Mike Segar | Reuters
Eli Lilly Shares jumped 4% in Thursday’s initial market shortly after Promising data release From a 72-week trial of terzepeptide for obesity. Participants lost up to 22.5% of their body weight, or about 52 pounds. Sixty-three percent of participants who took terzepeptide achieved a body weight reduction of at least 20%. Also on Thursday, Lilly reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and revenue. The drugmaker cut its full-year earnings guidance but raised its revenue forecast.